Saturday, April 22, 2023

Striking a Balance Between Knowledge and Experience- Embracing That You May Not Know What You Do Not Know

    

          It was some 30 years ago, and I was new to the fire biz. I had read many textbooks and subscribed to all the trade journals, substituting knowledge for experience. We had very few structure fires for me to gain experience from. The bread and butter calls for the department then were EMS, Traffic accidents and as fate would have it, a great many vegetation fires , thanks to a prolific arsonist. EMS was my niche as I was working full time as a paramedic. 

          I was active as a volunteer firefighter, which put me in the position to be offered a resident firefighter job. I lived 20 feet from the engine and often was in the driver’s seat for nearly every run. We ran short, typically with a driver only and sometimes with a second guy on the engine. The other volunteers would arrive via POV or in the second due engine. 

         On a cold and rainy night,  we were dispatched to a commercial structure fire. This was my first structure fire since I took the resident position. Turning out with my heart racing in fear and excitement, I started the engine, pulling out slowly, looking for a co-pilot to keep me company. No such luck. As I pulled out onto the road, looking left towards the reported location of the fire... Shit... we had fire showing from the fire house. 

          I charged off into the night, armed with only the best of intentions, and Brannigan's Officers Handbook of Fire Tactics, turning pages in my mind. Arriving at scene, with fire showing from the roof of a 50 x 100-foot wood barn used by a plumbing company, I ordered mutual aid engines and water tenders; pulled the first line and with my book learning as my guide, promptly declared that this was a defensive fire, as we had “fire through the roof...”

          Looking back now that was not the best decision. If we had opened the door, we would have seen a small fire that was directly under a small plastic skylight, that we could have knocked with tank water… This was the first “parking lot” that I created. 

          The lesson here is you do not know what you do not know. The knowledge gained from the materials in books and simulations helps support the fire ground decision making process, but that information alone often leads to failure, especially under the time compressed and less that ideal conditions in which we must make life and death decisions.. A balance between knowledge and expense is critical and unfortunately there are less opportunities to gain that experience today compared to the last generation.

          We mistakenly equate experience with call volume. Calls may provide you with experience, but going to the same frequent flier patient every day does not expand your knowledge base or give you hands-on practice that challenges and sharpens your skills. My chief, Todd McNeal uses the example of the 20-year firefighter that goes to the same quarter acre grass fire every year; is he an experienced wildland firefighter, doubtful. Now compare the 21-year-old kid, who spends a season on a CalFire engine or on a Forest Service hand crew or engine in California, traversing the state fighting fires. Who do you want on your team?

          The issues today are that we do not get real life experiences, with fewer and fewer fires to go too, it is hard to expect the next generation to become as proficient in a timely manner. So, if you happen to witness a young guy struggle with balancing knowledge and experience, look at it as a teaching moment. Remember back when you did not know what you did not know, and maybe it was just the right time to create another parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Iron Man Firefighting: Supporting an Effective Initial Fire Attack with Minimum Personnel               Iron Man Time             I ...